Brecon Remembers Home

Search the site


Regimental Museum (Brecon)

British Library






The Men Who Died



121                122

Supplement to the London Gazette, 23 April 1918 (30645/4858)

‘Richard Maybery scored his 21st victory in December 1917, over Bourlon Wood, downing an enemy Albatross D V aeroplane, but as he followed the plane to the ground his own machine was hit by anti-aircraft fire and he crashed south of the village of Heynecourt.  He was buried by members of the German Flakbatterie in their cemetery at Heynecourt. later being removed from there after the Armistice and placed in Flesquieres Hill British Cemetery.’

In a letter to Mrs Maybery, Richard`s Commanding Officer wrote:

‘Your son had just crashed down his 20th Hun in flames, when his own machine was seen to be going down. It was very misty and the fighting was severe, and in the mist another German came from behind and above, and shot him down.’

Royal Flying Corps Communiqué no. 119 (dated 19 December, 1917) confirms:

‘An SE5 formation of 56 Squadron saw eight EA [enemy aircraft] scouts south of Masnieres, so dived at them. Captain R.A. Maybery failed to return from this combat and was last seen behind an EA which he had shot down in flames. This pilot has accounted for 20 EA and his is the only machine missing during the day.

Lance Bombardier Cyril Stuart Moore

Royal Garrison Artillery No 2 Depot, service no. 146600

Died of Injuries Received July 6th, 1918.

Beechwood Red Cross Hospital Hereford, aged 23

Buried at Hereford Cemetery, Herefordshire, United


Cyril was born at Malvern in 1895, the second son of George William and Constance Helen Moore. During his early years the family continued to live in Malvern where George was a butcher. Later they moved to Wales and by 1911 his father was landlord of Cwm Inn at Avenue Road, Brecon. His mother and older sister, Beatrice, aged 22, helped to run the public house. Cyril, then 16 years old was a grocer’s apprentice and his younger brother Lionel attended school.

Cyril enlisted in the army in September 1914 at Pentre, Glamorgan initially joining the Army Service Corps as a private and being promoted Sergeant only weeks after. He later moved to the Royal Garrison Artillery.

His wife was Eleanor Mary Vaughan, known as Nellie, and the couple married in March 1917 at Leominster, Herefordshire and were later living at The Lichfield Vaults, Church Street, Hereford. Nellie later remarried and became Mrs Tudge.

Cyril was wounded and later died of his injuries on 6th July 1918.