Brecon Remembers Home

Search the site


Regimental Museum (Brecon)

British Library






The Men Who Died



159                160

He joined the Queens (Royal West Surrey) Regiment in Easter 1915 and he went to France on August 19th, 1915. He was wounded by a bullet at Loos in October of that year but recovered well in a London hospital and rejoined his regiment after Christmas. He returned to France in March 1916 and fought in many engagements. The 6th Battalion Queens (RWS) fought as part of the 12th (Eastern) Division

under the command of the 37th Brigade. At the time of Gordon's death they were involved in the Battle of Amiens.

Gordon was killed on the evening of August 12th, 1918 a piece of shell entered just below his heart and he died a few minutes later. He was buried the following afternoon in a military cemetery north of Morlancourt.

His brother Gerald also served but returned home safely.

Private David John Rees

Royal Welsh Fusiliers 2nd Battalion, service no.17827

Killed in action in France on July 20th 1916, aged 19

Commemorated on Thiepval Memorial, Somme, Picardie,


David was born in Merthyr Tydfil in 1897, a son of William and Elizabeth (nee Harris). In 1901 the family are living in Cefn Cribwr, near Bridgend and William is a labourer. His parents were both born in Llanfaes, Brecon and were married in Brecon in 1893. By 1911 the family have moved to 24, Silver Street, Brecon. William and David are not at home, presumed to be working away. David had previously attended Llanfaes School. In 1916 William and family were living at 1, Maund's Court, Kensington, Brecon.

David enlisted in Bargoed joining the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, going to France in early May, 1915. The second battalion fought with the 19th Infantry Brigade within a number of Divisions in 1914 and 1915. In 1916 with the 33rd Division they were involved in various battles in the Somme campaign. On July 19th and 20th they took part in the attacks on High Wood. The fight for this prominent observation area

went on from July 14th until mid-September. This area was the centre for attack and counter attack of attritional fighting during that period.

David's brother William also served and was wounded and in hospital in Liverpool at the time of David's death.