Brecon Remembers Home

Search the site


Regimental Museum (Brecon)

British Library






The Men Who Died



255                256                             

Alice, 10 and Bronwyn had just been born.

David had enlisted in the army in about 1911 and served all through the war, although he did not leave Britain to join his Battery in Gallipoli until November 1915.

The 17th Brigade, RFA was serving in Allahabad, India as part of the Regular Army when war was declared. They were ordered to return to England and with other units returning from distant garrisons were formed into Divisions in late 1914 and early 1915. 17 Brigade RFA joined the 29th Division and initially went to Egypt in March 1915, before landing in Gallipoli the next month. They served there until the withdrawal in January 1916, and then returned to Egypt before going to France in March 1916. They served on the Western Front for the remainder of the war and went through many battles, the last of which was the Battle of Courtrai, 14th-19th October 1918. It was probably here that David received his wounds. A few days before he had been awarded the military medal. He had served seven years in the army.

Forget him no, we never will, we loved him then, we love

him still

Company Quarter Master Sergeant Major Pryce Hughes

South Wales Borderers, 1st Brecknockshire Battalion, service

no. 30

Died June 19th, 1915 at Aden, aged 41

Buried at Maala Cemetery, Aden, The Yemen.

Pryce Hughes was born in Brecon in 1874, the son of Robert and Anne Hughes. Robert was an innkeeper and in 1881 was running the Cross Keys Inn at 4, Orchard Street, Llanfaes Brecon.

The family later moved to the Wheatsheaf Inn in Brecon and when Pryce's father Robert died in 1991, aged just 41, his widow Annie took over as innkeeper. Pryce is still listed at the family home and works as a printer (compositor) with the Brecon County Times. The family later moved to Merthyr where Annie ran the New Inn. Pryce was well known and popular in Brecon and Merthyr.

Pryce was educated in Brecon and joined the Brecknock Volunteers in 1893 when he was 19 years old. He later went with them to fight in the South Africa War, earning the Queen's Medal and subsequently a Long Service Medal. Pryce passed with them into the Territorial Force in April 1908, becoming a sergeant in December that year, and later a company sergeant major. He mobilised with the Brecknocks in August 1914, volunteered for imperial service and went with the