Brecon Remembers Home

Search the site


Regimental Museum (Brecon)

British Library






The Men Who Died



281                282                             

John was born in about 1888, a son to Walter Stanley and Janet Robinson. He was educated at Cambridge, obtaining his degree from Sidney Sussex College.

He arrived to live and teach maths at Christ College, Brecon in September 1911 and immediately began playing a full and active part in school life. At the time, masters could play in many of the school teams and John participated in rugby, hockey, golf and cricket, as well as coaching football and helping out with athletics. John was also involved with the College's Cadet Force.

Although members of the teaching profession were exempt for military service, John left Christ College at the end of Christmas Term, 1915 and in 1916 John voluntarily became an instructor in the Royal Navy serving on HMS Royal Oak.

John remained fond of Christ College and Brecon and returned a number of times to visit during his periods of leave. Unfortunately, John contracted influenza in Scotland and died in the Royal Naval Hospital, Queensferry two days after the war ended.

Lieutenant John Stanley Robinson

Royal Navy H.M.S. Royal Oak. Instructor

Died on 13 November 1918, aged 30

Buried at Dalmeny and Queensferry Cemetery, West

Lothian, Scotland

Corps, as a driver, and served at the front in France before being transferred to the Labour Corps. In January 1918, whilst still with the Labour Corps and stationed at the depot in Brecon, James worked for

Breconshire Coal and Lime as a substitute haulier. He had a nasty accident whilst leading a horse near Llandefaelog. The horse bolted and James was knocked down and the cartwheel went over part of his body. He was treated in the Depot Hospital in Brecon.

James later returned to work but in April of that year was involved in another accident, this time with fatal consequences. He was driving a motor tractor with a plough attached, at a field above Camden Road in Brecon. The front wheels skidded close to a hedge and James left his seat to check the wheels. A pin from the flywheel caught his tunic

and he was whirled around several times. He was admitted to the infirmary but died shortly after. An inquest was held the next day and the cause of death was stated as shock with a verdict of accidental death was returned.