Brecon Remembers Home

Search the site


Regimental Museum (Brecon)

British Library






The Men Who Died



95               96

then Cardiff.

Ernie joined the Royal Flying Corps and later the RAF and whilst piloting his aircraft on a bombing sortie over the front lines, he was shot down by the Red Baron. In Baron von Richthofen’s own combat report there is a full account of the air action in which he commends the bravery of his adversary. Initially listed as missing, Ernie was later reported as killed.

Rifleman William John Jenkins

Monmouthshire Regiment. 1st Battalion, service no. 2375

Killed in Action on May 8th, 1915, aged 32

Commemorated on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial

William went to Mount Street and Brecon County Schools and later became a clerk for the County Council and also worked as a clerk for the Brecon Gas Company. By 1911 he had left the family home and was boarding at Tredegar where he worked as a railway clerk, and later was employed by Tredegar Iron and Coal at Blackwood.

Having enlisted at Blackwood, William went to France in February 1915. As well as a rifleman, William was also a telephone operator. Originally listed as missing, he was later confirmed as killed at the first Battle of Ypres.

William was born in Brecon in 1883, the eldest son to ex police sergeant John Jenkins and his wife Martha Mary. The family were living at 16 Free Street in 1881, with John listed as a travelling agent and Martha as a milliner.

By 1891 the family had moved to the New Market Inn at 27, Free Street, Brecon, where William's father is now listed as innkeeper.

Lieutenant Ernest David Jones

Royal Air Force, 52nd Squadron

Killed in action on April 3rd, 1918, aged 19

Commemorated on the Arras Memorial, France

Ernie was born in 1899, the second son of Benjamin & Matilda Jones of George Street, Brecon. Benjamin was a foreman printer.

By 1901 the family were living at 38, Orchard Street, Llanfaes, Brecon, and by 1911 they were at the same address but his mother was now a widow and a grocer, as her mother had been previously, at this address.  Both Ernest and his brother Ivor attended Mount Street and Brecon County School.  After leaving school Ernie was a clerk with Barclays, first at Newport, and